Howdyyy!

Isn't that what Minnie used to say? Bless her heart....


Why don't you pull up that old rockin' chair and sit down a spell while I share some of my creations with you! You never know what you are going to see...it might be one of my original watercolor paintings or the collectible ACEOs (miniature 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" Art Cards). I might even throw in some decorated gourds or fancy treasure boxes as well as some custom designed cowgirl boots and rock art ornaments.

If you have a special art request please email me and we will see what we can do.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September 1, 2010

The start of a new month! I love fall...it's my favorite time of the year and soon the cool breezes will be here and the sound of leaves crunching under my boots as I take Murphy for a walk.

This painting has me thinking of the Hoecakes I made on the weekend. I had never had them before and I will say..."they were finer than a frog's hair!" ;-)

1 cup self rising flour
1 cup self rising cornmeal (can use a mix or do what I did - I added a tsp of baking powder and a 1/4 tsp baking soda)
2 eggs
1 tsp sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup vegetable oil or bacon grease
oil or butter for frying
Mix well all ingredients, except for the frying oil. Heat the frying oil or butter in a medium or large skillet over medium heat. Drop the batter, by full tablespoons, into the hot skillet. Use about 2 tablespoons of batter per hoecake. Fry each hoecake until brown and crisp; turn each hoecake with a spatula, and then brown the other side. With a slotted spoon, remove each hoecake to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Leftover batter will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 days.

There are some other recipes out there that I think I'm going to try so I can compare but these hoecakes were amazing!

oh....forgot to mention...we ate them with a spoonful of homemade scuppernong jelly....yummmmy

No comments:

Post a Comment